What Are Industrial Engiones and Where Can You Find Them
Unlike a domestic engine, industrial engines are usually considerably bigger and designed for heavier workloads with more staying power. You can find industrial engines have a myriad of uses including
Types of Industrial Engines
The main industrial engine in use in the UK is the diesel engine. However, there are also gas-powered industrial engines available.
Diesel Industrial Engines
These work on the principles of internal combustion, specifically a compressed ignition engine. This is known as the diesel cycle after its inventor Rudolf Diesel in 1892. Rather than being ignited by a separate source of energy—like a spark plug—the fuel is ignited by exposing it to the high temperature and pressure of compressed gas like oxygen.
Why Use Diesel?
- Diesel fuel has high energy content and delivers more power than burning the same amount of petrol.
- More power is extracted from diesel due to high compression ratios that allow better engine performance and efficiency.
- The fuel consumption costs of diesel are lower than with petrol.
- Technological advances have diminished the noise and high maintenance costs of the older diesel industrial engines.
- With no spark ignition, today’s diesel engines are easier to maintain – lowering costs.
- It can work for prolonged periods than other industrial engines.
- Diesel, distilled as light oil, provides lubrication to the unit injectors and cylinders, prolonging their functioning.
Gas Powered Industrial Engines
Using a gas engine is a quieter operation that produces less particle matter (pm), making them a good choice for using indoors and enclosed spaces where environmental concerns are a consideration.
In addition, manufacturing companies are competing to produce gas engines that use gas combustion systems for high output, that are fuel-efficient compact engines that display the durability, reliability and value required of industrial applications.
Managing Installation & Moving Industrial Engines
Industrial engines can be thought of as free-standing power units. However, while free-standing, they are not particularly moveable due to their size, shape and weight. Therefore, installing or changing their position can be quite an enterprise. However, consider giving Heavy Lifts a call. Their portable gantry will easily position any large industrial engine efficiently and professionally.
Did You Know?
The largest diesel engine is the RT-flex96C made by Wärtsilä. It has fourteen cylinders that generate 107,389HP with more than 7,000,000Nm of torque—enough to power an entire town. It stands 3.5 meters high and 26.59 meters long and weighs 2,300 tonnes. You would expect to find one of these colossal machines pushing a container ship through the oceans.
The largest gas engine is built by the same company. The Wärtsilä 18V50SG is a four-stroke engine with 18 cylinders that is 8,6 m long and weighs 396 tons. You can find these immense engines in several industries, including powering a Bolivian steel mill and an Argentinian power plant.
We hope we have answered all your questions regarding industrial centrifuges. However, if you require more information then feel free to contact us today regarding any questions or queries you may have.