For a giant piece of industrial equipment that is multi-faceted and talented, a gantry is not well known among the public. Rather, the equipment is; the name is not. What is a gantry exactly and what are they used for?
Read on and find out.
The dictionary defines a gantry as a “bridge-like” structure with a platform to support heavy equipment such as cranes, lights, and cameras. That includes serving as a movable framework for maintaining things like rockets before they are launched.
The unofficial definition is that they are a critical tool in helping dozens of professionals complete their daily work. You can find gantries supporting all sorts of equipment in shipyards, warehouses, auto garages, hospitals, printers, etc. Anywhere something really large and heavy has to be supported and often needs to be moved into multiple positions, a gantry is used.
Different Types of Gantry
As mentioned gantries are incredibly diverse in size and scope. The most popular types of gantries are:
- Full: This has two side legs and a cross beam. It can be run on wheels, rails, or a track to help move materials.
- Semi: A semi gantry uses one leg and is mounted to a sidewall. It is usually used in smaller facilities, but also can be used in tandem with full gantries to allow for the continuous flow of work.
- Portable: The portable gantry is lightweight and runs on casters or rubber wheels. It can lift a half-ton up to several tons and can be used indoors or outdoors to life large and smaller objects.
- Single and Double Girder: As the name implies, these are gantries that have one cross beam or a second crossbeam respectively. The second cross beam provides stability and support to the main crossbeam.
What Are They Good For?
Much like the official definition, any time an employee has a need to suspend or support something to provide the framework to complete work on various pieces of equipment or with various pieces of equipment, chances are they use a gantry.
A gantry can be used to support giant pieces of equipment that help move incredibly large and heavy materials all the way down to a local garage, where they can be used to help support heavy equipment as it is being worked on. Here are a few examples:
- Auto Engines: A gantry can be used to support an engine as well as to remove the engine from the vehicle. Once it is removed employees can work directly on the engine or work in the area the engine is occupied in the vehicle. The gantry is then used to position and lower the engine into place as well as to support it while it is being reattached to a vehicle.
- Hospital Machinery: Many hospitals have machinery and equipment that is both immense and incredibly heavy. A gantry can help suspend it. Some of that equipment has moving parts and a gantry can help accommodate those as well.
- Crane Support: The platform on a gantry can be used as the foundation point for a crane. These are often used in rail yards and shipyards with containers or in construction where the concrete structure is being formulated and cured.
- Scrap Yards: Gantries can provide the base for removing parts and equipment from machinery or as a foundation for magnets that pick up scrap metal and move it.
These are just a few of the most popular applications for a gantry. If you need a gantry or an estimate for one, contact us today.
Gantry cranes are large, specialized pieces of machinery that are used to move and lift extremely heavy objects. They have a variety of applications in a number of industries and can be incredibly beneficial tools for companies who need to move or lift large objects.
Heavy Lifts is a company that provides gantry crane services, and they offer a 14 Tonne gantry crane that can be transported anywhere in the world.
What is a Gantry Crane?
Gantry cranes are a type of overhead crane that is commonly used in industrial settings. They are known for their large size and versatility and can be used for a variety of tasks including loading, unloading, and moving heavy objects. There are several different types of gantry cranes, each with its own set of benefits and applications. One of the most popular types of gantry cranes is the Heavy Lifts 14 Tonne Gantry. This type of crane is designed for heavy-duty applications and can be transported to any location in the world.
Gantry cranes are a vital piece of equipment in many industries, including construction, manufacturing, and shipping. They offer many advantages over traditional overhead cranes, including increased versatility, safety, and productivity. Gantry cranes can be used for a variety of tasks, such as loading and unloading heavy objects, moving materials from one location to another, and lifting objects into the air for assembly or repair.
Types of Gantry Crane
There are several different types of gantry cranes, each with its own set of benefits. Some of the most popular types of gantry cranes include:
Lightweight Gantry Cranes: These cranes are designed for use in smaller industrial settings and are often used for tasks such as lifting and moving light objects.
Portable Gantry Cranes: These cranes are designed to be easily transported from one location to another, making them ideal for use in construction and other industries where work is often done at multiple locations.
Heavy Lifts 14 Tonne Gantry: The 14-Tonne Gantry Crane offered by Heavy Lifts is designed for heavy-duty applications and can be transported to any location in the world.
Gantry cranes offer many advantages over traditional overhead cranes, including increased safety, productivity, and versatility. Gantry cranes are also easier to maintain and operate than traditional overhead cranes, making them a more cost-effective option for many businesses.
What are the applications of a gantry crane?
Gantry cranes have a number of applications, including construction, manufacturing and shipping. Gantry cranes can be used to move heavy objects and are known for their versatility and portability. Gantry cranes are also used in a variety of industries, including construction, automotive and aerospace.
Gantry cranes are most commonly used in construction and manufacturing settings. In construction, gantry cranes are used to move heavy materials, such as steel beams and concrete slabs. Gantry cranes can also be used to move vehicles, such as cars and trucks. In manufacturing, gantry cranes are used to move heavy machinery and equipment. Gantry cranes are also used in shipping and logistics to move large containers and cargo.
Gantry cranes are versatile and portable, making them ideal for use in a variety of settings. Gantry cranes can be used indoors or outdoors and can be mounted on a variety of surfaces, including concrete, asphalt and gravel.
The benefits of using a gantry
There are many benefits to using a gantry crane, for example:
Another benefit of using the Heavy Lifts 14-Tonne gantry benefit is that it can be easily transported to any location in the world. This is due to its short modular design which allows it to be dismantled and reassembled quickly and easily. This is a huge advantage for companies who need to use gantry cranes, but do not have the space to store them permanently on-site.
The 14 Tonne gantry crane offered by Heavy Lifts
A gantry crane is a type of bridge crane that consists of a single mast or tower supported by two or more legs. The legs are usually equipped with wheels to move the crane from one work location to another.
Gantry cranes are large, specialized pieces of machinery that are used to move and lift extremely heavy objects. They have a variety of applications in a number of industries and can be incredibly beneficial tools for companies who need to move or lift large objects. Heavy Lifts is a company that provides gantry crane services, and they offer a 14 Tonne gantry crane that can be transported anywhere in the world.
Contact us today for a quote.